Moist, delicious and aromatic banana bread subtly infused with cardomom, cloves, pepper and cinnamon with walnuts for the odd crunch.
Also, it’s vegan.
YES. The riper your bananas, the sweeter the bread. I threw in some dates, too, for that extra sweetness.
You will find out as I post more on this blog, that I am a bit of a chai nut. I really love chai. It transports me to festival world (where, no kidding, I would happily spend £10 a day solely on chai), where I am warm, happy, carefree and excitable.
The aromatic spices used in this bread give it an incredible flavour whilst lending a whole heap of health benefits. Chai spices have been relied on by Ayurveda to soothe digestive problems and act as a revitaliser. Adding cardamom helps to reduce mood swings! I like to think of the spices as ‘soul soothing’ – grounding, nourishing, warming and sweet.
This is so delicious, and it can be eaten in a multitude of ways. You could have it for breakfast, as a snack, you could fry a slice in coconut oil, have it on it’s own with butter – the possibilities are endless. I had it for dessert with a drizzle of soya cream and some raspberries!
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1 flax egg (2 tbsp ground flax + 5 tbsp water)
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar (optional)
- 1/4 cup non dairy milk
- 2 medjool dates
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 clove
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/2 cup walnuts (or almonds, depends on what you have!)
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Grease a breadmaking tin/pan with coconut oil and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and 1/4 cup of walnuts. Mix well and set aside.
- In a blender, blend the 2 bananas well. Then add the rest of the wet ingredients. Blend again until creamy.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and combine.
- Drop the batter into your greased breadmaking tin.
- Decorate with toppings (I used more walnuts, blanched almonds, and a sprinkling of cacao).
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.